Monday, February 1, 2010

Breaking down the barriers

It seems to me that God has really been working in my heart.  There are far more examples than I can cover in this blog.  A few weeks ago, I was riding on MARTA to the airport.  It is not uncommon to have a homeless person stand up in a car and make a speech for money before moving on to the next car.  On this day, I pulled out my Bible to do some reading.  A homeless man sitting across the way from me saw this and got very excited.    He started motioning and pointing towards my Bible with a sense of joy in his spirit.  He came over to me and handed me a piece of cardboard saying that he was deaf and homeless and needed some money to shower and get a place to stay.  He even mimed like he was showering.  Being put on the spot, I took a few moments and decided to pull out my wallet where I found a $1 bill and $5 bill.  I'm ashamed to say that my mind flashed to an email exchange I had with another person where I mentioned giving a homeless person a $5 bill.  Because of this, I gave him the $5 bill.  Again he got very excited and pointed up in the air towards God and then he came over and gave me a hug.

Later, after I had gotten off the train at the airport, a woman came up to me.  Her and her friend had been sitting down the car a bit facing me.  I was very bewildered as she tried to give me a $20 bill.  She said something to the effect that I had been very gracious to the man and that she had been moved by it.  She kept on insisting that I take the $20.  As I tried to object, she told me to give it to someone who needs it and she left.

Last night, I had the incredible privilege to join a group from my Church to bring and eat dinner with the men of Trinity House Big Bethel.  This is a shelter and rehabilitation program for men on the streets -- many who have come from a background of alcoholism and drug addiction.  I have rarely seen such joy and warmth and service that I saw in these men.  Special things are happening here!  At the dinner, we all went around and shared our stories.  After each of us said our name, the whole group would say "Hey [insert name]!"  And then the evening concluded with the Power Clap, which was full of awkward dancing.and great laughter.

As much as I hate to say it, stereotypes plague my mind.  As I looked for a parking spot before dinner, I suspiciously eyed the men loitering on the street.  God is trying to teach me that people like these are no worse than any other person that I encounter.  They are loved by him and can teach me much.  We let fear and stereotypes consume us and we put up barriers up to try and protect ourselves.  What am I protecting myself from?  If God is on my side, whom shall I fear?  Slowly, he is chipping away at my heart of stone and teaching me the value of love and relationship to all I encounter.

The last couple of weeks, I've carried around that $20 bill in my pocket as a somber reminder of that day on the train.  To look at it is to see my judgments of people and the barriers that are still in my heart  I'm not sure what I am going to do with it, but perhaps it will be used to break down some more barriers.

1 comment:

Jodi said...

I love what God is doing to your heart!